Smartphone Usage Statistics You Should Be Aware Of – Social Media MarketingBy Vilampara on
A smartphone is simply a mobile phone with an advanced operating system; it possesses the abilities of a personal computer operating system and the features of a mobile. The number of people who own a smartphone is constantly on the rise.
If you’re a business owner today, these are facts you absolutely need to be aware of.
Statista, in a study in 2015, estimated that there were 4.43 billion phone users in 2015. For 2016, it predicted an increase to 4.61 billion. The study further expected this number to reach 4.77 billion in 2017. In 2020, this is expected to increase to 6.1 billion (Ericsson Mobility Report).
Smartphone penetration in the following countries is as follows:
- South Korea (88%)
CSomScore reports that the number of smartphone users in the US is 198.5 million. According to the Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP), the number of iPhones in the US is 110 million. This would mean that there are around 250 million mobile subscribers, with iPhones making up 44 percent of the market.
Secondly, it is assumed that figures will touch the 80 percent threshold mark by March. This should increase with time. For populations under 40, penetration rates already exceed 80 and 90 percent.
- Turkey (+42 points), Malaysia (+34), Chile (+26) and Brazil (+26) have evidenced an increase of more than 25 points in smartphone ownership rates since 2013.
- The country that boasts of the highest smartphone ownership rate is South Korea. Tanzania (11%), Uganda (4%) and Ethiopia (4%) are the countries with the lowest smartphone ownership rates.
- In developing nations the number of people who have internet access has increased. According to a survey in 2014 and 2015, the following countries have shown an increase – Nigeria (+20 points), Ghana (+19) and China (+13).
- In 20 nations men use the internet more than women. This is especially true in African nations. More men own a smartphone than women. The following countries have shown an increase in the number of men who use a smartphone – Mexico (+16), Nigeria (+13), Kenya (+12) and Ghana (+12).
The leading 5 smartphone vendors according to IDC for Q4 2015:
- Samsung (21.4%)
- Apple (18.7%)
- Huawei (8.1%)
- Lenovo (5.1%)
- Xiaomi (4.6%).
- Other vendors (42.1% market share)
The leading US vendors (DeviceAtlas statistics for Q4 2015):
- Apple (57.35%)
- Samsung (10.36%)
- Verizon (8.27%)
- AT&T (4.31%)
- LG (3.71%)
According to IDC the leading mobile operating systems in Q2 2015:
- Android (82.8%)
- iOS (13.9%)
- Windows Phone (2.6%)
- BlackBerry OS (0.3%)
- Other operating systems (0.4%)
Some interesting facts from Google:
- Users who check their phone on waking up – 68%
- Users who have their phone beside them daily – 87%
- Number of times people check their phones per day – 150 times per day
- Number of minutes spent on a smartphone daily- 177 minutes
The coming decade is definitely going to see a boom in the smartphone market. We’re undoubtedly going to see new operating systems as well. It will be a wait that’s definitely worth it.